30 July 2008

Site Visit

I wasn't really going to say anything about site visit since PC has been known to switch people around last minute.  However, there are only so many Pulaar sites and I'm going to a village that has had a volunteer for the last two years and are really excited to have another, so it isn't that likely that I'll be moved.  I'll be pretty sad if I do get moved last minute.

I really like the village and the people are amazing.  My biggest challenge is going to be finding my own niche.  Laura, in her two years, became a part of their community and they really love her.  Also, she did some amazing things with and for them.  Other people are going to spend the first part of their service explaining what PC is and what they're doing in Mauritania.  I'm going to spend the first part finding my own way and my own project(s).  I'm sure it'll get annoying hearing about the past volunteers (they've had two that they really liked), but right now I'm happy to have this problem and not the other.

My site is the village of Garli in the Gorgol region right along the Senegal River and it's absolutely beautiful.  There's no road once you leave the regional capitol of Kaedi and during the rainy season the non-road gets washed out or flooded.  It's kind of nuts to contemplate, but it's also kind of amazing.  This is what I thought I was getting into when I joined the PC.

The think I didn't consider when I joined the PC was that I'd be getting a cellphone.  And it's going to be kind of complicated since where I am gets Senegalese reso (bars...I'm not sure how to define it) better then Mauritel, so I'll be getting a cellphone that can be on two networks at once so when I travel I won't have to switch out sim cards.

It's amazing to think that PST is half over.  My Pulaar needs a lot of work in the next five weeks to be able to get by when I get to Garli, but I'm ready to continue this adventure.  I've finally gotten used to Tekess, but I want to do real work.

More sessions right now, but I just wanted to say keep the mail coming and I miss you and love you all!!!

No comments: