03 July 2008

Pulaar and Tekess

Tekess is super small, as I mentioned yesterday. There are about 200 people (if that) in the entire village.

There are established parts of the village and there are parts that are made up of UNHCR tents. In 1989, there was a problem between Mauritania and Senegal that was taken out on the people living along the river. Black Africans (a lot of Pulaars and Wolofs) in Mauritania were told that they didn't have the proper family background to be truly Mauritanian and they were shipped across the river into Senegal. And so Senegal reciprocated by sending people of Mauritanian desent across the river in the other direction. Tekess, which is exclusively Pulaar, was completely cleared out since we're so close to the river. The established parts of the village have only been back for a few years and the families living in the UNHCR tents have only recently been repatriated.

The rainy season is coming and we've already had a few hard rains at night. But before the rains really come, the weather gets sweltering hot and then the wind picks up. For our morning session, the weather is sweltering, but in the afternoon the wind blows the chalk board over.

I wanted to say more, but the power shut off so I don't want to use up too much of the battery and I want to make sure this posts. The water and the electricity is hit or miss even in Rosso. But I don't have electricity at all in Tekess, so I'm not too worried. Having electricity at all is great.

1 comment:

Literature Fan said...

I'm going to try to comment on everything (both entries) at once as best I can. We'll see what happens.

First of all: I just want to remind you how crazy brave you are for doing this. Everything you've experienced emotionally the last few days is natural, and I can guarantee you're not the only one who has felt that way. You are phenomenal, please remember that. I know that you are going to learn so much and get so much out of this, as unbearably difficult as it may be at times.

I'm glad to hear that your host family is nice and taking good care of my girl. Plus, there's somebody shorter than me in your life, so that's another good thing, just cause.

I should have more to say, but I'm letting myself process everything, much as you're processing your change in surroundings, life-style, language, etc. You'll be fabulous darling, and remember, there are lots of people who are thinking of you and admiring you for your great adventure.

I miss you and love you.