16 July 2008

I tease

There will be more information forth coming...I've been writing a lot of letters and when they arrive in the States, I 'm sure that those people who get one or more will be nice enough to share by e-mailing any information to my parents and then my parents can send the information around...if you would be so kind.

This post is going to have a lot of lists and I'm sorry that that isn't a lot of information, but I don't have the time or the space to go into a lot of detail right now.

The GOOD:
My family is amazing...they're always so happy when I bust out a sentence in Pulaar.  Eventually everyone hears about my new trick and they want me to repeat it over and over again.  The best example I have is that I could tell them that I was going to Rooso today and that I would be back tomorrow morning (Mbede yaha Rooso hande subaka.  Maa mbede ara jungo kikiide...there are actually a few funky letters in there, but I don't know how to put them in).  People kept asking me where I was going, when I was going and when I'd be back even people I had already told.

My language skills are improving at an amazing rate.  Mbede haala Pulaar seeda (again the funky letters...both d's are special..."I speak Pulaar a little").  The thing is that I understand a lot, but I have a lot of trouble getting up the courage to speak.

My French is also improving at an amazing rate.  Our language teacher doesn't speak much English, so between the three of us we have to construct sentences in French to ask about things in Pulaar.  We have had three language conversations and we are perfecting the language of Frengulaar (sound it out; it is what you think it is).

Mail makes me super happy and thank you to those who have written and those who will write.  I know that it can get expensive to send a lot of things internationally, but I got six letters yesterday and it made my day...it still makes my day today.  That was the first mail I've seen and it made me feel a little bit more connected.

The BAD:
I feel really disconnected from people.  The world could end and if Tekess is still standing, I wouldn't know about it.  I get no news because my family listens to Pulaar radio.  That's why the mail yesterday was so amazing.  Just to know that other people exist was great.

The language is hard...it's amazing what I've learned in only 2 1/2 weeks, but pronounciation is really important and I'm having trouble and I end up saying things that I really don't mean.  there's a list, but it isn't appropriate to post here.  It will be forth coming probably eventually.  

Also, I'm not an assertive person and I need to talk to my family more, but that's hard for me.  My family talks to me a lot and sometimes I'm able to respond.  But I really need to start using the language without prompting.

The UGLY:
Misquitoes and flies and the heat

I hadn't looked in a mirror since the last time I was in Rooso...I feel very limp after that glimpse I got.

Everything is overwhelming.  I've come to a point where it's still overwhelming, but I'm getting used to the idea of being overwhelmed.  It's just my state of being right now.  I'm learning a lot and enjoying learning a lot.  

Send more mail and send more US stamps because by the time they get to me, I may be getting low...no joke.  I've been writing about one letter a day and I'm sending them all through people going to the States.  Also, send e-mails, please...I won't get them often, but it'll be great to have stuff waiting for me.

Love from Mauritania!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zehn hatta! That's something learned in John Tyler's blog - and hoping it means you did good - but might mean you are a good dancer. Either way, sounds like you are doing terrific-ly in a quite trying situation - so maybe the saying does fit. Thanks very much for sharing your posts. Hearing news from MR means almost as much as your hearing news from back home. Wish you well - 'gambatte!'
(Please ask my daughter to explain that japanese term.)
Kat's mom

Unknown said...

Your site made me feel very nostalgic for my 9 years in Velingara (similar). Would any of your Pulaar speaking friends like free copies of a paper in Pulaar? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane